Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Be daring...

This whole "mixed media" art is still very new to me. Sometimes it is difficult for me to move out of my comfort zone. What am I? A scrapbooker? A paper artist? An artist? I feel like I'm neglecting my scrapbooking if I start dabbling in other media. I feel like I'm "cheating" on my scrapbooks if I play with something else.




I really, really need to get over it...
it's not like my supplies have feelings!

When I have been at the Linnie Blooms store, I have drooled over Linda's "mixed stitch journals". So I finally bought one. And, I dove in. When I should have been paying attention in church the other day, God had another plan for me. He led me to find a theme for my journal. This is just the cover, but slowly it will develop into a big fat work of art highlighting some of my favorite songs and lyrics. Now, I wasn't really zoning out in church, because it was one of my favorite church songs that led me to this project. I think it will be the next page, so I'm not going to go into a full reveal just yet.
For now, you get the cover... "songs in my heart". I inked the cover with Distress Inks and Stains and water, using some stencils in spots. I used paint markers to make a frame around the edge of alternating black and white rectangles--sometimes I think every piece of art should have a black and white checked frame. I will try to resist from including it on every page of this journal, but I won't make any promises. I stamped a sheet music background stamp with Stazon ink and random stamped in every direction. The canvas hearts are also from Linnie Blooms...the pink one is colored with Copic markers and the smaller one is covered in washi tape. I placed and replaced 100 different ribbon and lace scraps before settling on the ones pictured...I was so PICKY! Lastly, I added the title. I cut the words with my Silhouette Cameo (LOVE it) and hand wrote "in my" with Stickles.

Oh, and I mentioned "stencils"...that's because the Scrap It Girl November challenge is STENCILS...check it out HERE and join in the fun this month.



This journal is just the beginning of a new journey. I need to focus on what makes me happy and not worry about my supplies "feelings". I do this for me. It's what I need right now. There are no mistakes. Just possibilities.


~Kelly






Pin It

**Just for my beloved followers, I have a SUPER discount code for you. If you want to place an order at Linnie Blooms online store, you can shop here... http://lindabarutha.com/shop/. Use the code LB2013KS and you will get 10% off your order. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly this is coming together nicely! I love what you wrote about asking yourself what you are... scrapbooker? Paper artist? The truth in all these is that you are an artist. You use your talent and eye for design to create. In many of these you are also creatively sharing your thoughts, feelings and memories. To me, this is the most precious form of art! Keep on going!! PS I'm sure your supplies will "feel" happy that they have been made into something even more beautiful and expressive! ~Cathy from Ideas For Scrapbookers

    ReplyDelete